Dubai is one of the most interesting places to visit on the planet, and here are 10 record breaking reasons to prove it.
1. The world’s tallest building – Burj Al Khalifa
Standing at 829.8 m (2,722 ft) tall, this magnificent building opened in 2010 as part of the 490 acre development of Downtown Dubai.
2. The world’s most luxurious hotel – Burj Al Arab
Dubbed the world’s only 7 star hotel, this outstanding luxury hotel is situated on an artificial island connected to the mainland by a private bridge.
3. The largest shopping mall in the world – The Dubai Mall
Hosting a staggering 1200 shops, the Dubai Mall attracts more than 65 million visitors every year. This number surpasses major landmarks such as Times Square, Central Park and Niagara Falls.
4. The world’s biggest man-made islands – The Palm
These two artificial islands are built in the shape of palm trees to maximize beachfront property. Only natural materials of sand and rock were used in the construction.
5. The first indoor ski slope in the desert – Ski Dubai
This indoor ski resort features an 85 metre tall mountain with 5 slopes of varying difficulty, including the world’s first indoor black run. If you’re lucky you may even spot a penguin!
Click on the image below to enlarge:
6. The world’s tallest hotel – JW Marriott Marquis Hotel
This twin-tower structure stands at 355m (1,165 ft) tall and boasts 72 storeys packed full with 1,608 rooms,14 food outlets, rooftop bars, meeting rooms, spa and health club and retail outlets.
7. The world’s largest fireworks display – New Year 2014
Dubai saw the new year in in style, with an impressive world record breaking firework display. Over 400,000 fireworks were fired in 6 minutes, at a rate of 1,332 fireworks per second.
8. The world’s largest aquarium – Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo
Visitors can view 33,000 marine animals, including over 400 sharks and rays through a 48 metre long aquarium tunnel. Glass bottom boat rides and shark dives among other attractions are available.
9. The world’s largest gold ring – A 64-kilogram gold ring in the Deira Gold Souq
Estimated to cost around 3 million dollars, this 21 carat ring weighs almost 64 kilograms (141 pounds) and holds 615 precious stones.
10. The world’s largest cereal breakfast – at Dubai Marina Mall
1350 members of the public took a day of work to sit down and enjoy breakfast together to set this world record. They sat at a 301m (987 ft) long table, which in turn set its own record.